Star sparkle cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cuts into 12 slices
A super-simple yet effective Christmas cake decoration, especially if you want a modern looking cake
To cover the cake
- 20cm fruitcake , see 'Goes well with'
- 5 tbsp apricot jam (optional)
- 750g golden marzipan
- 750g white ready-to-roll icing
- three 5-pointed star cutters - small, medium and large
- 30g pack small gold balls
- approx 65cm length of wide ribbon
- STEP 1
Lift the cake onto the cake board or a plate and cover with jam, marzipan and – brushing with water around the sides of the cake only – ready-to-roll icing. Trim at the base.
- STEP 2
Press star cutters gently into the icing, stopping when you get to the marzipan. Pull the star shapes out with the cutter, or ease it out with the tip of a knife. Stamp out a couple of small stars from re-rolled trimmings of icing (from icing the cake) and sit them inside the large star-shaped spaces.
- STEP 3
Sprinkle the gold balls into the gaps and tie the ribbon around the cake. Can be decorated up to a week ahead.