- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
If you want a light alternative to other cooking oils, rapeseed is a great choice and has…
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
A fragrant spice which comes from the inner bark of a tropical tree. When dried, it curls into…
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 800ml vegetable bouillon made with 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 green peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 sweet potato, seeded and cubed
Sweet potatoes have a creamy texture and a sweet-spicy flavour that makes them ideal for savoury…
- 2 plantains, peeled and sliced
- 160g brown basmati rice
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained
- handful fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 140g unsweetened coconut yogurt (we used Coconut Collaborative)
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onions for 8 mins until softened and golden. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the spices, stir briefly over the heat, then pour in the tomatoes and bouillon, and stir in the peppers, sweet potato and plantains. Cover and leave to simmer for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, boil the rice according to pack instructions. Stir the beans into the stew with the coriander and cook gently for 10 mins until the peppers are tender.
Spoon half the rice and stew into two bowls, top each with 2 tbsp yogurt and scatter with coriander, to serve. Cool the remaining stew and rice, then cover and chill to eat on another night with the remaining yogurt. To serve again, gently reheat the stew in a pan with a splash of water until bubbling. The rice can be reheated in the microwave.
Sign up to our healthy diet planThis recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!