Spicy vegetable stew with coconut
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This tasty veggie dinner truly has it all – five of your 5-a-day, folate, fibre, vitamin C and iron. Serve with coconut yogurt and brown basmati rice.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 large red chilli , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 800ml vegetable bouillon made with 4 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 green peppers , seeded and cubed
- 1 sweet potato , seeded and cubed
- 2 plantains , peeled and sliced
- 160g brown basmati rice
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans , drained
- handful fresh coriander , chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 140g thick, unsweetened coconut yogurt
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onions for 8 mins until softened and golden. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Add the spices, stir briefly over the heat, then pour in the tomatoes and bouillon, and stir in the peppers, sweet potato and plantains. Cover and leave to simmer for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, boil the rice according to pack instructions. Stir the beans into the stew with the coriander and cook gently for 10 mins until the peppers are tender.
- STEP 3
Spoon half the rice and stew into two bowls, top each with 2 tbsp yogurt and scatter with coriander, to serve. Cool the remaining stew and rice, then cover and chill to eat on another night with the remaining yogurt. To serve again, gently reheat the stew in a pan with a splash of water until bubbling. The rice can be reheated in the microwave.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!