Spicy vegetable egg fried rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 200g basmati rice or 400g/14oz leftover cooked rice
- 1-2 red chillies , deseeded and grated or very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large carrots , diced
- 200g Chinese cabbage , finely sliced
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 3 spring onions , sliced
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp soy sauce , plus extra for serving, if you like
- STEP 1
If making the rice from scratch, cook it following pack instructions, then drain. Mix the chillies and garlic (in a pestle and mortar, if you have one) with a pinch of salt, to make a paste.
- STEP 2
Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add the carrots and stir-fry for 5 mins until tender. Add the cabbage and chilli paste and cook for 1 min more. Tip in the cooked basmati or leftover rice and stir-fry for 1 min until piping hot.
- STEP 3
Push the rice mixture to one side of the pan. Add the eggs to the cleared space and scramble until set. Mix in the onions, peas and soy and stir-fry everything together until the peas are hot.