Spicy tomato sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in around 1½ hours
- Makes 300ml/½ pt, serves 4 adults and 4 kids
- 2small fresh red chillies , seeded
- 2 red peppers , seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 shallot , roughly chopped
- 400g can chopped tomato with juice
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- STEP 1
Blend the chillies, peppers, garlic, shallot and tomatoes in a food processor until smooth.
- STEP 2
Pour the purée into a stainless steel saucepan, add the sugar and vinegar, then bring to the boil, stirring from time to time. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40-60 mins until thick, stirring regularly, especially in the latter stages of cooking.
- STEP 3
Pour into large, warm sterilized jars then cool. This will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.