Spicy fennel linguine with sardines & capers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 175g linguine (or spaghetti)
- 120g can sardines piccanti (packed in chilli-infused oil - see tip below)
- 1 large fennel bulb , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , sliced
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp capers , drained, chopped if large
- handful flat-leaf parsley , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- STEP 1
Cook the pasta following pack instructions until al dente. Meanwhile, drain the oil from the sardines into a large frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the fennel, garlic and lemon zest, then cook for 10 mins, stirring often, until the fennel is tender and starting to colour.
- STEP 2
Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking water. Tip the sardines (and the whole chillies from the can, if you like) onto the fennel. Break the fish up a little with a wooden spoon, then add the capers, parsley, pasta and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Season to taste. If the pasta seems a little dry, add 2 tbsp of the cooking water and stir gently. Pile onto plates and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, if you like.