- Preparation and cooking time
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Serves 6
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g can chickpea, washed and drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander (or use more cumin)
- handful parsley, chopped, or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan, then fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 mins until softened. Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices, then mash together with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down. Stir in the parsley or dried herbs, with seasoning to taste. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands.
- STEP 2
Mould the mix into 6 balls, then flatten into patties. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 mins on each side, until golden brown and firm. Serve hot or cold with couscous, pitta bread or salad.