Spicy beef stew with beans & peppers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6 adults, or 4 adults and 4 kids
Just the thing to warm you up on a cold winter night
- 3 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1kg stewing beef , cut into chunks
- 1 onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 1 tsp cumin
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 600ml beef stock (from a cube is fine)
- 2 red peppers , deseeded and sliced
- 400g can cannellini bean , drained and rinsed
- soured cream and coriander, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan with a lid. Season meat, then cook about one-third over a high heat for 10 mins until browned. Tip onto a plate and repeat with 2 tbsp of oil and rest of the meat.
- STEP 2
Add a splash of water and scrape pan to remove bits. Add ½ tbsp oil. Turn heat down, fry onion and garlic until softened. Return meat to the pan, add flour and stir for 1 min. Add treacle, cumin, tomatoes and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hr 45 mins. Stir occasionally and check that the meat is covered with liquid.
- STEP 3
Add peppers and beans, and cook for a further 15 mins. The stew can now be cooled and kept in the fridge for 2 days, or frozen for 1 month. Serve in bowls, with sour cream, coriander and cornbread.