Spiced whole cauliflower & warm chickpea salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 whole cauliflower , stalk trimmed
- 400g can chickpeas , drained and patted dry with kitchen paper
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 100g full-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 5 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 ripe tomatoes , deseeded and roughly chopped
- small pack coriander , leaves roughly chopped (reserve the stems for the marinade)
- juice 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil , to serve (optional)
For the spiced marinade
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix together all the marinade ingredients plus 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper. Drizzle the oil over the base of a medium roasting tin. Use your hands to coat the cauliflower entirely in the marinade, then sit it in the oiled tin. Spoon any leftover marinade on top. Roast for 30 mins until the topping is set.
- STEP 2
Splash 100ml water into the tin, then cover loosely with foil. Return to the oven and let the cauliflower steam for 30 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, toss the chickpeas, onion, spices and some seasoning together. Uncover the cauliflower, scatter the chickpea mixture around it (the water will have mainly evaporated), then roast for 20 mins more until the onion is tender and the chickpeas are crisping. The cauliflower should be golden and tender by now – when you insert a skewer inserted through the middle, it should meet little resistance.
- STEP 4
Stir the yogurt and coconut cream together to make a loose dressing, then season. Fold the tomatoes, coriander and lemon juice through the chickpeas, then serve with the dressing and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if you like.