Spiced roast lamb
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 2-3 hours marinating
- Serves 4 - 6
- 2kg leg of lamb
For the marinade
- 150g natural whole-milk yogurt
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger , finely grated
- 3 large garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- juice ½ lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seed , lightly crushed
- handful coriander , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Stir together the marinade ingredients and season with ½ tsp ground black pepper and 1½ tsp flaky salt. Slash the lamb several times on both sides, then massage the marinade all over it. Seal into a large food bag or non-metallic container and chill overnight (or at least for a few hrs). Let the lamb sit at room temperature for 1 hr before roasting.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the lamb into a foil-lined roasting tin and roast for 20 mins. Turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and roast for 1 hr 20 mins for meat that’s pink near the bone. Cover loosely with foil halfway through cooking or once the marinade has charred and the meat looks golden.
- STEP 3
Leave the lamb to rest for 20 mins before carving, then serve with lentil & tomato and cucumber salads (see related recipes).