Spiced chickpeas with halloumi
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 chilli , deseeded and finely chopped, or half tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 200g bag baby spinach
- 3 red peppers from a jar or deli counter
- half 250g pack halloumi cheese , drained
- juice 1 lemon
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a pan, then gently fry the chilli and ginger for 1 min. Stir in chickpeas, spinach and peppers, then season. Cover, then cook gently for 3-4 mins, stirring occasionally, until the spinach has wilted and the chickpeas are warmed through.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan until piping hot. Cut the halloumi into 6 slices and quickly fry for 1-2 mins each side. Stir the lemon juice into the chickpeas and divide between two plates. Top with the halloumi and serve immediately.