- 200g pearled spelt
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 100g chestnut button mushroom , cut into quarters
- 100ml white wine
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp low-fat crème fraîche
- bunch chives , finely chopped
- handful grated pecorino or parmesan to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Cover the spelt with cold water and soak the dried mushrooms in 100ml boiling water in a separate bowl for 20 mins. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Tip in the onion and garlic, cook for 2 mins, then add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 2 mins. Drain the spelt and add along with the wine. Simmer until almost all the liquid evaporates, stirring often.
- STEP 2
Drain the porcini mushrooms, add them to the pan and the soaking liquid to the vegetable stock. Stir in the stock 1 cup at a time and simmer, stirring often, until all liquid is absorbed and the spelt is just tender, about 20 mins in total. Stir in the crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Spoon onto plates and sprinkle over chives and cheese (if using).