Spanish pork with beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 garlic cloves , 1 crushed, 2 sliced
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 lean pork shoulder steaks (525g), trimmed of any fat
- 2 large onions (340g), halved and sliced
- 325g carrots (about 6), diced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 red peppers , deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder , made up to 500ml with boiling water
- 3 rosemary sprigs , leaves picked and finely chopped
- 200g whole cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans butter beans , drained
- ⅓ x 30g pack parsley , chopped
- squeeze of lemon (optional)
- STEP 1
Mix the crushed garlic, 1 tbsp of the oil and 1 tsp smoked paprika together in a shallow dish and turn the pork steaks over in the mix to coat them on both sides. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and fry the pork for about 4 mins on each side to part-cook and brown them, then remove them from the pan.
- STEP 2
Add the rest of the oil to the pan and fry the onions, carrots and sliced garlic, stirring frequently for 10 mins until the veg starts to caramelise a little. Pour in the sherry vinegar, allowing it to sizzle in the heat, then add the peppers, bouillon, rosemary, any juices left in the dish from the pork, the cherry tomatoes, tomato purée, remaining 3 tsp paprika and beans.
- STEP 3
Lay the pork steaks on top, then cover the pan and cook for 20 mins until the pork and vegetables are tender. The pork will be cooked and juicy, but not fall apart. Remove the pork from the pan, stir in the parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice, if using.
- STEP 4
If you're following our Healthy Diet Plan, eat two portions of the pork and beans now and chill the rest for another day. Will keep for up to two days. To serve the second night, just reheat in a pan.