Spanish chicken with chorizo, potatoes & chickpeas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 lemons , 1 zested and halved, the other cut into wedges
- 1⅓ - 1.5kg whole chicken
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika , plus a couple of pinches
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 850g potatoes , cut into chunks
- 220g chorizo ring, cut into chunks
- 1 whole garlic bulb , cloves peeled
- glass of white wine , about 200ml
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 2 pinches of saffron
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- small pack parsley , roughly chopped
- 300g Greek yogurt
- crusty bread , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Insert the zested, halved lemon into the chicken cavity, and mix the 1 tbsp paprika with 1 tbsp of the oil and some seasoning. Rub this all over the chicken and sit it in the middle of a big roasting tin. Toss the potatoes and chorizo with the rest of the oil and scatter around the chicken. Cover everything with a big tent of foil and roast for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Remove the foil from the tin, baste the chicken, then stir the lemon wedges and garlic cloves into the spuds and chorizo. Roast uncovered for another 30 mins while you mix the wine, stock and 1 pinch of saffron together.
- STEP 3
Pour the stock mixture into the tin with the chickpeas and some seasoning, stirring together with the potato and chorizo, then put back in the oven for a final 30 mins.
- STEP 4
Check the chicken is cooked through, then stir the parsley into the tin. Mix the lemon zest, another pinch of saffron and 1-2 pinches of paprika into the yogurt and serve alongside.