Spaghetti with fennel, anchovies, currants, pine nuts & capers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4-5
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 400g spaghetti
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , finely sliced
- 100g jar anchovy fillets in olive oil, roughly chopped
- ½tsp dried chilli flakes
- 70g currants , soaked in boiling water for 5 mins and drained
- 2 ½ tbsp capers , rinsed
- 1 small pack flat-leaf parsley , leaves picked and finely chopped
- 75g pine nuts , toasted
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- STEP 1
Quarter the fennel bulbs. Remove the coarse outer leaves and trim the tips (cut off and reserve any fronds). Remove and discard the core from each quarter, then chop the rest of the fennel.
- STEP 2
Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling, lightly salted water. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Sauté the fennel until soft, then add the garlic and cook gently until pale gold. Add the anchovies, press with a wooden spoon, then add the chilli. When the anchovies fall apart, toss in the currants, capers, parsley and most of the pine nuts.
- STEP 3
Drain the pasta and immediately add it to the frying pan. Add the lemon juice and season to taste. Toss together, then serve straight from the pan or transfer to a large warm serving bowl. Scatter over the remaining pine nuts and any fennel fronds.