South Indian aloo masala (dosa stuffing)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8-10
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tsp sambar masala mixed with ¼ cup water
- 4 large potatoes , boiled and cut into bite size chunks
- handful fresh coriander , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida until they begin to crackle, then add the onions. Cook for 3-4 mins until the onions are slightly golden.
- STEP 2
Stir in the tomato purée along with the diluted sambar masala. Tip in the potatoes, 1¼ tsp of salt and mix well. Lightly crush the potatoes with a wooden spoon and cook for a further 3-4 mins. Taste for seasoning. Serve garnished with the coriander.