Smoky tofu tortillas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 onions , each cut into 12 wedges
- 2 Romano peppers , deseeded and sliced
- small pack coriander , leaves picked and stems finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 200g pack smoked tofu (I liked Taifun), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400g can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 8 corn & wheat tortillas
- 2 limes , cut into wedges
- extra virgin olive oil , for drizzling
- 1 large ripe avocado , stoned, peeled and sliced just before serving
- thick yogurt or soured cream
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and peppers. Season and cook on a high heat for 8 mins or until just tender and starting to char. Add the coriander stems, fry for 1 min, stirring, then add the spices and cook for 2 mins more, stirring, until fragrant.
- STEP 2
Tip in the tofu, beans, tomatoes and sugar, and cook for 5 mins until the sauce is quite dry and the tofu is heated through. Warm the tortillas following pack instructions.
- STEP 3
Taste the sauce for seasoning and add the coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime. Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and serve with the tortillas, lime halves, avocado and yogurt or soured cream on the side.