- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 onions, each cut into 12 wedges
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 Romano peppers, deseeded and sliced
- small pack coriander, leaves picked and stems finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 200g pack smoked tofu (I liked Taifun), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 8 corn & wheat tortillas
In Spain, a tortilla is a kind of omelette, with ingredients added - frequently sliced cooked…
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
The same shape, but smaller than…
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 large ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and sliced just before serving
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- thick yogurt or soured cream
Yogurt is made by adding a number of types of harmless bacteria to milk, causing it to ferment.…
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and peppers. Season and cook on a high heat for 8 mins or until just tender and starting to char. Add the coriander stems, fry for 1 min, stirring, then add the spices and cook for 2 mins more, stirring, until fragrant.
Tip in the tofu, beans, tomatoes and sugar, and cook for 5 mins until the sauce is quite dry and the tofu is heated through. Warm the tortillas following pack instructions.
Taste the sauce for seasoning and add the coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime. Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and serve with the tortillas, lime halves, avocado and yogurt or soured cream on the side.