Smoky sausage & black bean chilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 sausages of your choice
- 1 large onion (red or white), finely chopped
- 2 peppers (red, orange or yellow, or a mixture), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tbsp chipotle paste (optional)
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 400g can black beans, drained
- handful of coriander, leaves picked, to serve (optional)
- grated cheddar, natural yogurt or soured cream, and tortilla chips, jacket potatoes or rice, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat half the oil in a large pan and cook the sausages for 12-15 mins over a medium heat until brown all over and cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- STEP 2
Drizzle the rest of the oil into the pan and cook the onion and peppers for 10 mins, over a low heat stirring often until all the veg has softened.
- STEP 3
Stir in the garlic, all the spices and the chipotle paste, if using, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, a canful of water, the ketchup and some seasoning. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 mins half-covered with a lid or loosely covered with foil. Stir occasionally, topping up with water if the mixture starts to look too thick.
- STEP 4
Slice the cooked sausages into thick coins and return to the pan, then tip in the beans. Cook for another few minutes until heated through, then spoon into bowls and scatter with coriander leaves, if using, some grated cheese and a dollop of yogurt or soured cream. Serve with tortilla chips for scooping, as a filling for jacket potatoes, or over rice.