Slow-cooker chicken casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 2 adults + 2 children
Treat the family to this wholesome chicken casserole that delivers comfort while being low-fat. And you can let a slow cooker do most of the work
- knob of butter
- ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g baby new potatoes, halved
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- 15g dried porcini mushroom, soaked in 50ml boiling water
- 500ml stock made with 2 very low salt chicken stock cubes (we used Kallo)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 2 bay leaves
- STEP 1
Heat a knob of butter and ½ tbsp rapeseed or olive oil in a large frying pan, cook 1 finely chopped large onion for 8-10 mins until softened and starting to caramelise.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, put 1 ½ tbsp flour and a little salt and pepper in a bowl and toss 650g boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets in it.
- STEP 3
Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 mins more until the chicken is starting to brown.
- STEP 4
Transfer to your slow cooker, along with 400g halved baby new potatoes, 2 diced celery sticks, 2 diced carrots, 250g quartered mushrooms, 15g dried and soaked porcini mushrooms with the 50ml soaking liquid, 500ml chicken stock, 2 tsp Dijon mustard and 2 bay leaves.
- STEP 5
Give it a good stir. Cook on Low for 7 hours or High for 4 hours.
- STEP 6
Remove the bay leaves and serve with a little Dijon mustard on the side.