Shredded beef chilli taco bowls
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 8
- 600ml beef stock
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 300ml passata
- 100g chipotle chilli paste (or tomato purée if you don’t want it at all spicy)
- 1.5 kg piece braising beef
- 2 x 400g cans black beans or kidney beans, drained but not rinsed
- 1 lime , juiced
- small bunch coriander , chopped
- 8 large flour tortillas
To serve (optional)
- soured cream or plain yogurt, lime wedges, diced avocado or guacamole, finely sliced red onion, sliced red chilli, sliced radishes, chopped tomato, crumbled feta or grated mild cheddar
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 170C /150C fan/gas 4. Tip the beef stock, spices, garlic, passata and chilli paste (or tomato purée, if using) into a large flameproof casserole dish and season. Place on a medium heat, bring to a simmer, then add the beef and coat in the sauce. Cover and braise in the oven for 5-6 hrs, or until the beef is really tender. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for around 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Using two forks, shred the beef into the sauce. Until this point, the dish can be prepared up to three days ahead – the flavours will improve over time. To reheat, stir in the beans and place on a low heat, then squeeze in the lime juice and keep warm on a low heat or in a low oven. Stir through the coriander just before serving.
- STEP 3
To make the taco bowls, heat oven to 190C/170C fan/ gas 5. Brush each tortilla with a little oil, then tuck into a small ovenproof bowl or pudding basin and hold in place with a ball of foil. Cook for 8-12 mins until crisp. This can be done in batches if needed. If cooking ahead, leave to cool and keep in a large airtight container overnight. To serve, half-fill the tacos with the red cabbage & pickled chilli slaw, top with the chilli and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.