- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 peppers (choose your favourite colours), finely chopped
Also known as capsicums, bell peppers, sweet peppers or by their colours, for example red and…
- 4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- small pinch of sweet smoked paprika
A spice that's central to Hungarian cuisine, paprika is made by drying a particular type of…
- 250g basmati rice
- 450ml hot vegetable stock (make sure it’s vegan-friendly)
- finely chopped coriander and sliced spring onions, to serve
Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a lid, then add the onion, pepper, garlic and cumin and sizzle gently for 8-10 mins until the vegetables are soft and golden. Stir in the tomato purée and smoked paprika and cook for 1 min, then stir in the rice.
Pour over the stock, then cover and bring to the boil. Stir quickly, then cover again and place on the lowest heat possible. Simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave, covered, for a further 10 mins. If serving straightaway, stir through the coriander and spring onions; alternatively, leave the rice to cool, chill, then re-fry before serving and stir the coriander and spring onions through at the end.