Roast winter veg with fondue sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes a little less than 1 hour
- Serves 2 - 3
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash , skinned, seeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes
- 1 red onion , cut into thin wedges
- 300g packet of cauliflower florets
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water
- a splash of kirsch or brandy (optional)
For the fondue sauce
- 100ml/3½ fl oz white wine
- 175g raclette cheese , grated or chopped if bought ready sliced
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7/fan 200C. Drizzle half the oil over the base of a large gratin dish or medium roasting tin. Tip in the squash, onion, cauliflower, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything together roughly and drizzle with the remaining oil. Put the vegetables in the oven and bake for 15 minutes uncovered, stirring half way through.
- STEP 2
Stir the vegetables again, arrange the tomatoes on top, and roast for another 15-20 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- STEP 3
To make the sauce, pour the wine into a small pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese and cornflour mixture then the kirsch or brandy if using. Put the pan back onto a low heat and stir everything together until the cheese melts into the liquid and forms a runny, silky sauce. Serve the vegetables with the sauce poured over.