- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes about 2.5kg (enough to fill 8-10 large jars)
- 1 ½kg mix of red pepper , aubergines and courgettes
- 500g ripe tomato
- 500g onion
- 500g apple
- 500ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp black mustard seed
- 2 tsp lightly crushed coriander seed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 red chilli (deseeded if you don't like it too hot)
- 300g light muscovado sugar
- STEP 1
Chop the peppers, aubergines and courgettes into very small pieces. You can chop them roughly and pulse them in a food processor, if you like. Peel and chop the tomatoes. Finely chop the onions. Peel, core and finely chop the apples. Put everything in a large wide pan with the vinegar, 2 tsp salt, the mustard and coriander seeds, paprika and chilli, if using. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer for 25-30 mins until all the vegetables are very tender.
- STEP 2
Stir in the sugar until it has dissolved, then boil until the chutney is thickened and pulpy. Pot into warm, sterilised jars (see tip, below), seal and label.