- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 (1.5 burritos per person)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red or white onion, or 4 spring onions, chopped
- 400g mixed vegetables of your choice (we used carrots, red pepper and sweetcorn)
- 200g leftover chicken, chopped into small chunks
- 2 x 250g packs ready-cooked lime & coriander rice
- 400g can red kidney beans in chilli sauce
- 6 large wraps
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 100g grated cheddar
- 1 egg, beaten
- soured cream, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins until soft, then add your chosen veggies and continue cooking for another 5-10 mins or until tender. Add the leftover meat, the rice and beans, along with the sauce from the can. Stir everything together and cook for 5 mins until piping hot.
- STEP 2
Heat another frying pan, or a griddle pan, until hot, and heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 2. Now assemble the burritos. Warm a wrap for 10 secs on the hot pan (keep the pan hot, you’ll need to use it again).
- STEP 3
Pile roughly a sixth of the rice mixture onto the centre of the wrap. Top with a little avocado and some cheese, then brush beaten egg around the edge. Fold the ends over the filling, then fold in the sides, like an envelope.
- STEP 4
Flatten a little to a parcel, then place, seam-side down, in the hot pan. Cook for 2 mins until the underside has sealed shut and is toasted a golden brown, flip over and cook for a few mins more.
- STEP 5
Keep the burrito warm in the oven while you continue assembling and cooking the remaining burritos. Serve with soured cream, if you like.