Prawn & melon salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 6
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove
- a handful of coriander stems or roots
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 red chilli , deseeded, plus 1 tsp chopped to garnish
- 2cm/¾in piece of root ginger , peeled and roughly chopped
- juice of 3 limes and 1½ oranges
For the salad
- 1 small watermelon , weighing about 1.8kg/4lb
- 24 large cooked and peeled tiger prawns
- 4 spring onions , finely sliced
- 2 trimmed stems of lemongrass , finely sliced
- 4cm/1½in root ginger , peeled, cut into fine matchsticks
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 lime leaves , shredded (optional)
- a handful each of coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 100g roasted salted peanuts or cashews, to garnish
- STEP 1
Three hours before serving: make the dressing. Put the garlic and coriander in a food processor with 1 tsp salt and the sugar, then pulse to a pulp. Add the chilli, ginger and citrus juices and pulse until smooth. Cover and chill.
- STEP 2
Two hours before serving: cut the watermelon into segments, remove the skin and seed the flesh. Cut into lozenges about 3cm wide.
- STEP 3
Mix the melon and prawns and add the spring onions, lemongrass, ginger, lime zest and lime leaves. Chill.
- STEP 4
To serve: toss the dressing and herbs into the salad and scatter with chilli and peanuts.