Beetroot, feta & asparagus salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 6
For the dressing
- a large handful of fresh oregano or marjoram leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1½ lemons
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 250g bunch asparagus , cut into 3cm/1¼in lengths
- 2 x 250g packs boiled fresh beetroot , cut into quarters
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 85g bag watercress , large stalks removed
- 10 green and 10 purple basil leaves (or 20 of one colour)
- 400g feta or goat's cheese
- STEP 1
The day before: make the dressing. Put the oregano or marjoram, a pinch of salt and the garlic into a food processor and pulse to a paste. Add the lemon juice and whizz until smooth. Stir in the olive oil and season – it should be sharp and a bit salty.Cover and chill.
- STEP 2
Two hours before serving: bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and cool under the cold tap. Cover and keep cool.
- STEP 3
Put the beetroot in a large bowl and toss with twothirds of the dressing. Add the lemon zest and spring onions, cover and keep at cool room temperature with the remaining dressing.
- STEP 4
To serve: add the watercress to the beetroot and tear in the basil. Toss in the asparagus and season with freshly ground black pepper. Taste before adding salt as the cheese is quite salty.Mix lightly, so you don’t dye everything pink, then pile into a serving dish. Crumble over the cheese and pour the remaining dressing on top.