Potato rösti cakes with sage leaves
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2-3 Maris Piper potatoes (about 400g/ 14oz), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 6 sage leaves, 2 finely chopped, 4 whole
- 3 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying
- STEP 1
Squeeze any excess water out of the grated potatoes, then tip into a bowl and mix well with the egg, flour, baking powder, onion and chopped sage leaves. Season well. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, and spoon the mixture in to make 4 röstis, flattening them down with the back of a spoon into disc shapes. Cook for 5 mins each side until golden brown and crisp, then drain on kitchen paper. Can be made up to 8 hrs in advance and kept in the fridge (see tip).
- STEP 2
When ready to serve, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the frying pan over a medium heat. Add the whole sage leaves and cook for 20 secs until crisp but still green. Drain on kitchen paper and top each rösti with a fried sage leaf.