Potato, cheddar & red onion pasties
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus chilling
- Serves 4
- 1 large potato , cut into 1cm dice
- 2 carrots , cut into 1cm dice
- 300g jar caramelised onion chutney
- 1 tbsp thyme leaf , chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 140g mature cheddar , grated
- 500g block shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg , for brushing
- poppy seeds , for sprinkling
- green salad , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Boil the potato and carrots in salted water for 5 mins until tender. Drain well and tip into a mixing bowl.
- STEP 2
Add the chutney, thyme, mustard, cheese and some seasoning, and gently mix to combine. Put in the fridge to cool.
- STEP 3
Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin, then cut out 8 x 13cm squares. Divide the filling between the squares and brush the pastry edges with the egg. Bring together the 4 corners of each square in the middle, then press all the seams together like a square envelope. Brush with more egg and sprinkle over the poppy seeds. Put the pasties on the baking tray and bake for 30 mins until golden. Serve with a salad, if you like.