Pot-roast guinea fowl with cabbage & bacon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 with leftovers
- large knob unsalted butter
- 1 guinea fowl , about 1.2kg/2lb 12oz
- 100g smoked lardon or chopped bacon
- 1 celery stalk, thickly sliced
- 1 carrot , thickly sliced
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 small Savoy cabbage , shredded into 3cm thick ribbons
- 10 juniper berries
- 1 glass dry white wine
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat the butter in a large flameproof casserole and brown the guinea fowl all over. Remove and set aside.
- STEP 2
Add the lardons to the pan, cook for 2-3 mins until beginning to turn golden. Add the celery, carrot and onion and cook for 5 mins. Then stir in the cabbage and cook for 5 mins more.
- STEP 3
Add the juniper berries, wine and stock, then sit the guinea fowl on top. Bring to a simmer then cover tightly and roast in the oven for 1 hr 15 mins, until the bird is cooked through.