- 400ml vegetable stock (I used Marigold bouillon powder)
- 100g polenta
An Italian storecupboard staple, polenta has its roots in the peasant cuisine of northern Italy…
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan (vegetarian version optional)
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli, ends trimmed
pur-pel spr-ow-ting brok-o-lee
This untidy-looking, colourful cousin of broccoli can be used in much the same way. Leafier and…
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 125g ball of low-fat mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 10 red peppers from a jar, halved (I used Peppadew)
Heat the grill to its highest setting. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil, then slowly pour in the polenta, whisking constantly. Add some salt and 2 tbsp of the Parmesan. Continue to whisk until thick, about 3 mins.
Grease a large baking tray with 1 tsp of the oil, pour over the polenta and spread it out to a 30cm circle – if you have time, leave it to chill, uncovered, in the fridge for 30 mins.
Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 mins. Rinse in cold water and drain well. If any stems are thick, halve them lengthways. In a small bowl, mix the cherry tomatoes with the garlic and remaining oil. Season well.
Layer the mozzarella over the polenta, then add the broccoli, tomatoes, peppers and remaining Parmesan. Pop under the grill for 3-4 mins or until golden at the edges and the cheese has melted.