- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 3 x 330ml or 2 x 500ml jars
Give this tangy fruit pickle away as a gift or keep in your cupboard for a colourful household condiment
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 red onions , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds (kalonji or nigella)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 pineapples peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger , finely chopped
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 175ml cider vinegar
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Tip in the onions and spices and cook for 5 mins until fragrant. add the rest of the ingredients plus 1 tsp salt and simmer for 1 hr until dark golden and thick. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool before covering.
To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse well and dry in the oven at 180C/160 fan/ gas 4 for 10 mins just before filling. Once stored in sterilised jars, this chutney will keep for up to 1 year.