Pasta with pine nuts, broccoli, sardines & fennel
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
A typically Sicilian flavour combination - sweet raisins, spicy olive oil, crunchy pine nuts and salty fish
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil , plus a splash
- 500g bucatini or long pasta, like spaghetti
- 500g purple sprouting broccoli , stalks halved if very large
- 2 red onions , sliced
- 4 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb , very thinly sliced
- 50g salted sardine , or good-quality canned sardines in oil
- 25g pine nut
- 25g raisin
- juice and zest ½ lemon
- chilli flakes
- STEP 1
Bring a large pan of water to the boil, with a splash of oil, then add the pasta. Cook following pack instructions, adding the broccoli for the final 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, gently heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and sliced garlic, and cook slowly for 2 mins. Add the fennel and cook for a couple more mins, until softened. Flake the sardines into the pan and stir around for a few more mins to break them up.
- STEP 3
Tip the pasta and broccoli into the pan with the pine nuts, raisins and lemon juice. Toss together to let the pasta absorb the oil, season well and serve immediately, scattered with lemon zest and chilli flakes.