Palm nut & chicken curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger , skinned
- 4 medium onions , chopped
- 400g can palm nut concentrate (available from amazon.co.uk)
- 1kg chicken thighs, skinned if you like
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 okra fingers, trimmed, or 1 aubergine, chopped
- white rice balls, to serve
- STEP 1
Blend the garlic, ginger, onion in a blender, then add it to a medium pan along with half the palm fruit concentrate and the chicken. Cover with water, add ½ tsp salt, then bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- STEP 2
Blend the tomatoes with the chilli in a blender or using a hand blender. Heat the oil in a separate pan and add the rest of the concentrate. Fry until golden brown, then add the tomatoes and 500ml of water. Simmer for 20 mins, or until the oil rises to the surface, stirring regularly.
- STEP 3
Drain most of the water from the chicken, but keep a little in the pan – the final sauce should be quite soupy. Add the contents of the tomato pan to the chicken pan, skim off any excess oil, then add the okra or aubergine and cook for an additional 15 mins. Serve with white rice balls.