- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 200g gram flour
- 1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, halved and thinly sliced, then halved into quarter moons
- ½ aubergine, thinly sliced, then halved into quarter moons
- ½ cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- chutney, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 120C/100C fan/ gas 1/2. Make a paste by blitzing the chilli, ginger and tomato together, then set aside.
- STEP 2
Mix the gram flour with the spices. Add all the prepared vegetables and toss in the mix. Slowly add 150ml water until the batter coats the vegetables – they should be well coated, but not swimming in it.
- STEP 3
Add the tomato mixture and get your hands in there, mixing well until everything is incorporated. Add a little lemon juice and seasoning.
- STEP 4
Heat the oil to 180C. Take a handful of the mix and squeeze it into a loose little ball, to ensure the vegetables stick to each other when lowered in the oil. Use a spoon to carefully drop the ball into the oil.
- STEP 5
Fry for about 4 mins until golden and crispy, then taste to test for seasoning and consistency. You may also need to add a little water or gram our to the mixture at this point if your tester ball didn’t hold together. Repeat, frying the remaining mixture in batches.
- STEP 6
Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven as you go. Serve immediately with chutney.