One pan spicy rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tbsp medium curry paste (Madras is a good one to use)
- 250g basmati rice , rinsed
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- handful of raisins
- 175g frozen leaf spinach , thawed
- handful of cashew nuts
- natural yogurt to serve, optional
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan that has a lid, then fry the garlic and curry paste over a medium heat for 1 minute, until it smells toasty.
- STEP 2
Tip the rice into the pan with the stock, chickpeas and raisins and stir with a fork to stop the rice from clumping. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and bring to the boil. Reduce to a medium heat and cook for 12-15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- STEP 3
Squeeze the excess water from the spinach with your hands. Tip it into the pan along with 2 tbsp of hot water and fluff up the rice with a fork, making sure the spinach is mixed in well. Toss in the cashews. Serve drizzled with natural yogurt if you like.