- 150ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
True Balsamic vinegar is an artisan product from Modena, in Emilia Romagna, Italy, and is made…
- few pinches of cracked black pepper
- 6 small sweet pastry cases
- 480g strawberries (the best quality you can find)
- meringues and Thai basil leaves, to serve (optional)
Whisk the cream with the icing sugar until it just starts to hold its shape – be careful not to take it too far as it will stiffen as soon as you add the vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the balsamic and cracked black pepper, transfer to a container, cover and chill until needed.
To construct the tarts, spoon a generous portion of the cream into the tart cases. Slice the strawberries and fan them out over the top of the tarts. Dust lightly with more icing sugar and scatter with lightly-crushed meringue and Thai basil leaves, if you like. Add a bit of cracked black pepper to finish, and serve.