Neeps & tatties soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- 2 for lunch or 4 as a starter
- 25g butter
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion , chopped
- ½ medium-sized swede (about 200g), peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot , sliced
- 1 celery stick , sliced into small pieces
- 140g potatoes , chopped into small pieces
- good grating of nutmeg
- 400ml milk
- 140g cooked haggis or black pudding, chopped or crumbled into pieces
- 2 tbsp double cream
- a few celery leaves, torn
- STEP 1
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the coriander and the vegetables, fry for 4-5 mins, then cover with 400ml water and bring to the boil. Cook until all the vegetables are soft – around 20-25 mins.
- STEP 2
Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then add the milk. Transfer to a blender or blitz with a stick blender until smooth, then return to the pan to heat through. (For a really smooth consistency, push the mixture through a sieve after blending.) Check the seasoning and add a little more salt and nutmeg, if you like.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, heat the cooked haggis or black pudding in a frying pan until sizzling. Serve the soup in bowls and top with the haggis or black pudding, a swirl of double cream and the celery leaves.