- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 2-2¼ hours
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 6 large boned leg lamb steaks , total weight about 1.25kg/2lb 12oz
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 350g Charlotte potato , scrubbed or peeled and halved lengthways if large
- 2 large leeks , trimmed (with some green left on) and halved both lengthways and crosswise, then washed
- 3 large carrots , peeled and halved both lengthways and crosswise
- 6 small or 2 medium turnips , peeled, cut into thick rounds
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 4 tsp plain flour
- 100ml dry white wine
- about 12 fat continental spring onions , white and green parts
- several sprigs of flatleaf parsley and lemon thyme
- 3 tbsp single or whipping cream
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- chopped fresh parsley and/or lemon thyme
- STEP 1
Halve the lamb steaks and cut off any excess fat. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat in a large flameproof casserole that has a tight-fitting lid. Fry the lamb until it 'seizes' – it should be a little coloured all over but not charred. Bring a kettle of water to the boil.
- STEP 2
Transfer the lamb to a plate and rinse out the casserole. Add the veg (but not the spring onions) and cover with boiling water. Season and cook for 15 minutes, then drain into a colander over a bowl. Measure 450ml/16fl oz of the cooking liquid, crumble in the stock cube and stir to dissolve.
- STEP 3
Mop the fatty juices from the lamb with kitchen paper. Heat the remaining oil in the casserole over a medium-high heat. Add the lamb, season and sprinkle with the flour, then stir for a minute. Tip in the stock, wine, onions and herbs and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low, cover and cook gently for 1 hour, stirring a few times.
- STEP 4
Add the veg and stir well, cover and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. (Cool then freeze for up to 1 month or keep chilled for up to 24 hours.)
- STEP 5
Lift out the meat and veg into a warm serving bowl.With the casserole over a low heat, stir in the cream, grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Adjust the seasoning, spoon over the lamb and veg, sprinkle with herbs and serve.