Mustard & sage chicken with celeriac mash
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 3
Swapping potatoes for celeriac lowers the calories of this filling and flavoursome weeknight dinner, ready in under half an hour
- 1 celeriac , peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 chicken breasts , skinless
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 8 sage leaves , chopped
- 100g low-fat crème fraîche , plus 2 tbsp for the mash
- 1 low-sodium chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 275g cooked green veg, such as thin-stemmed broccoli , peas or Savoy cabbage, to serve
- STEP 1
Put the celeriac in a bowl, add a splash of water and cover with cling film. Pierce the cling film and microwave on High for 10 mins or until really tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of cling film and lightly bash with rolling pin until they are an even thickness. Dust with the mustard powder. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken breasts and brown on both sides. Add the garlic and sage to the pan, stirring in the gaps between the chicken, for 30 secs- 1 min, then crumble in the stock cube. Pour in 100ml hot water and add 100g crème fraîche. Stir the sauce around the chicken, then cover the pan with a lid and cook over a medium heat for 8 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the mustard and season with plenty of black pepper.
- STEP 3
While the chicken cooks, drain any liquid from the celeriac, season, add the remaining 2 tbsp crème fraîche and mash (or blitz to a purée in a food processor). Serve with the chicken and some green veg.