- 200g sourdough bread, cut into croutons
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 1 potato, chopped
The world's favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 600ml vegetable stock (we use bouillon)
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- pinch of golden caster sugar
- 1 bouquet garni (2 bay leaves, 1 rosemary sprig and 2 thyme sprigs tied together with string)
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 200g cauliflower, cut into florets
A brassica, like cabbage and broccoli, cauliflower is a mass of tiny, tightly packed flower…
- 150g white cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mushroom ketchup
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the bread on a baking tray with the caraway seeds, half the oil and some sea salt, and bake for 10-15 mins or until golden and crisp. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, carrot and potato and cook for 5 mins, stirring frequently, until a little softened.
Add the stock, tomatoes, sugar, bouquet garni, celery and seasoning and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat, simmer for 10 mins, then add the cauliflower and cabbage. Cook for 15 mins until the veg is tender.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and mushroom ketchup. Remove the bouquet garni and serve the soup in bowls with the caraway croutons.