Moroccan chicken with fennel & olives
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Get four of your 5-a-day with our healthy chicken tagine using fennel and olives. Serve with wholewheat couscous
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb , halved and thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- thumb-sized piece ginger , finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves , chopped
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets, halved and any fat trimmed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400ml hot vegetable stock , made with 2 tsp bouillon powder
- 2 tomatoes , cut into wedges
- 6 Kalamata or green olives , pitted and halved
- generous handful coriander , chopped, plus extra to serve
- 70g wholewheat couscous
- 400g can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- STEP 1
Squeeze the lemon over a bowl and set the bowl aside. Cut the lemon in two, remove the pith from one half and chop the rind.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the onion, fennel, ginger and garlic until soft. Add the chicken and fry for a few mins more until just browned.
- STEP 3
Add the lemon rind and spices, then pour in the stock. Cover and simmer for 25 mins, then add the tomatoes, olives, coriander and half the lemon juice. Cook for 5 mins more until the fennel and chicken are tender and the sauce reduced.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, cook the couscous following pack instructions and stir in the chickpeas. Add more lemon juice to taste, then serve the tagine with the couscous, extra coriander and fennel fronds.