- Preparation and cooking time
- plus at least 1 hr infusing and chilling
- Serves 6
For the shrub
- 4 limes , juiced and zest pared into strips
- 5 mint sprigs
- 100g golden caster sugar
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla paste
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 50ml white rum
For the cocktail
- 4-5 mint sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 1 lime , chopped
- 600ml sparkling water , plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Put the lime juice in a large jug and top up with water until you have 200ml liquid. Add the zest and mint, then stir in the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla paste. Cover and leave to infuse in the fridge for at least 1 hr or overnight. Stir well to make sure the sugar has dissolved, then strain into a clean 1.5-litre jug and stir in the vinegar and rum. Chill until ready to use, or for up to 12 hrs.
- STEP 2
To make the cocktail, stir in the mint leaves, lime pieces and a generous handful of ice.
- STEP 3
Top up with 600ml sparkling water and pour into tall glasses with more ice, adding a little more sparkling water, if you like. Garnish with mint sprigs to serve.