Miso mackerel rice bowl
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 tsp white miso
- ½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 leeks , washed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove , finely grated
- thumb-sized piece ginger , half grated, half cut into matchsticks
- 2 pak choi , shredded
- 250g pouch wholegrain rice
- 2 mackerel fillets
- ½ red chilli , cut into thin strips
- STEP 1
Mix together 1 tsp miso, the vinegar, honey, soy and sesame oil with 1 tbsp water to make a dressing. Heat the grill to high. Line a grill pan with foil.
- STEP 2
Put 2 tsp rapeseed oil in a frying pan. Tip in the leeks and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins until starting to soften. Stir in the garlic, grated ginger and remaining miso. Cook until the leeks are soft. Add the pak choi and rice with 1 tbsp water, breaking up the rice with the back of a spoon. Cook until the pak choi is wilted, then turn the heat down to low.
- STEP 3
Drizzle the remaining oil over the mackerel and season. Put the fillets skin-side up on the grill pan and grill for 2-3 mins until just flaking.
- STEP 4
Pour the dressing into the greens and rice. Mix well and divide between two bowls. Put the mackerel on top and scatter over the chilli and ginger.