Mexican pulled chicken & beans
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6 - 8
This budget-busting sharing platter of slow-cooked chipotle chicken is perfect for feeding a crowd - and won't break a student budget, either
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs , skin removed
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion , finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans black beans , drained
- 400g cans kidney beans , drained
- handful parsley , coriander or mint, roughly chopped
- small iceberg lettuce , shredded
- ½ cucumber , diced
- drizzle of olive oil
- large bag of tortilla chips , to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rub the chicken thighs with 2 tbsp of the chipotle paste. Put the rest in a medium bowl with the garlic, tomatoes, onion and some seasoning. Stir to combine, then tip into a large roasting tin. Sit the chicken thighs close together on top of the sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hr.
- STEP 2
Remove the roasting tin from the oven, add all the beans and stir into the tomato mixture around the chicken. Put back in the oven, uncovered, for 20 mins or until the chicken is tender and the beans are hot.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, mix the herbs, lettuce and cucumber with a drizzle of olive oil and set aside.
- STEP 4
Shred the chicken using a knife and fork, and discard the bones. Mix the chicken through the sauce and beans. Serve with the salad, tortilla chips and lime wedges.