Malmö meatball subs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus chilling
- Makes 16 meatballs for 8 subs
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil , for frying
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ⅓ cucumber , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped dill (optional)
- 4 sub rolls , halved, or 1 long, thin baguette, cut into 5cm chunks
- jar cranberry sauce
For the meatballs
- 300g pack pork mince
- 50g breadcrumb
- 1 tsp caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- good grating nutmeg
- STEP 1
Mix all the meatball ingredients together with plenty of seasoning, then shape into walnut-sized balls. Freeze for 30 mins to firm up if the party is about to start, or chill in the fridge for up to 24 hrs.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Roll the meatballs in the oil in a baking tray, then roast for 20 mins until browned and cooked through.
- STEP 3
When the meatballs are nearly ready, mix the vinegar and sugar in a mixing bowl to dissolve, then stir in the cucumber and dill, if using.
- STEP 4
Split the baguette chunks, rolls or subs and spread with a little cranberry sauce. Add some cucumber and 2-3 meatballs, arrange on a platter and serve.