Little beef & mushroom pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Treat yourself to these healthy beef and mushroom pies – they're ideal for entertaining or freezing. As well as being tasty, they deliver 5 of your 5-a-day
- 30g dried porcini mushroom , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium baking potatoes , cut into chunks (475g)
- 1 small celeriac , peeled and cut into large chunks (500g)
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions , halved and sliced
- 400g 5% lean beef mince
- 125g baby chestnut mushrooms , halved if large
- 2 tsp chopped sage
- 25g stilton , crumbled (optional)
- 320g spinach or chard
- 320g frozen peas
- STEP 1
Tip the dried mushrooms, bouillon and vinegar into a bowl and pour over 400ml boiling water. Boil the potatoes and celeriac together for 18-20 mins until very tender, then drain and leave to steam-dry. Mash with the white pepper.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep, non-stick frying pan and fry the onions for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add the mince and fresh mushrooms and fry for 5-10 mins until the mince is browned. Tip in the dried mushroom mixture and the sage, then half-cover the pan and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- STEP 3
Spoon the mixture into four 175ml pie dishes and top with the mash and stilton, if using.
- STEP 4
If eating straightaway, heat the grill to high. Put the pies on a baking tray (in case they bubble over) and grill for 5 mins. To make ahead, leave to cool completely, cover and freeze for up to three months. Reheat in the oven until piping hot. Wilt the spinach in a pan or the microwave and cook the peas following pack instructions. Serve the pies with the veg on the side.