Leek, potato & bacon bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
- 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1kg potato, thinly sliced
- 6 leeks, thinly sliced into rounds
- 25g butter
- 3-4 rashers streaky bacon, snipped
- 3 tbsp double cream (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the stock in a large pan, bring to the boil, then add the potatoes and the leeks. Bring back to the boil for 5 mins, then drain well, reserving the stock in a jug.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, butter a large baking dish. Layer up the potatoes and leeks higgledypiggledy, seasoning as you go, then scatter the bacon over the top. Season well, pour over 200ml of the reserved stock, then spoon over the cream (if using) and cover with foil. Can be made up to 1 day ahead and chilled. Bake for 40 mins, uncovering halfway through so that the bacon crisps.