Leek, kale & potato soup topped with shoestring fries
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
- 4 large potatoes (around 500g), 3 peeled and cubed, 1 left whole with skin on
- 1 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 15g butter
- 5 leeks (around 500g), washed and sliced into half moons
- 2 garlic cloves , sliced
- 1 ½l vegetable stock (we used Bouillon)
- 200g kale
- 2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7 and line a baking tray with parchment. Cut the whole potato into matchsticks using a julienne peeler, or shave thin slices using a vegetable peeler, then cut into matchsticks. Pat dry using kitchen paper, then toss with the oil and some seasoning. Spread out on the tray and roast for 15-18 mins.
- STEP 2
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks, chopped potatoes and a pinch of salt, then cook gently for 10 mins until the leeks have softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more, then pour in the stock. Simmer for 10-12 mins until the potatoes are soft, then add the kale and cook for 2-3 mins to wilt.
- STEP 3
Stir in the crème fraîche, then blitz with a hand blender and season to taste. Divide the soup between bowls and top with the shoestring fries.