Layered hummus, tabbouleh & feta picnic bowl
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 x 200g tubs hummus
- 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 200g pack feta cheese , broken into chunks
- handful pitted black olives
- 1 crisp Romaine heart
- flatbreads , to serve
For the tabbouleh
- 85g bulgur wheat
- 80g bunch mint , leaves finely chopped
- 80g bunch flat-leaf parsley , leaves finely chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes , deseeded and chopped
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- STEP 1
First, make the tabbouleh. Tip the bulgur into a saucepan, cover with water, season with salt, then bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until tender. Drain in a sieve, rinse under cold running water, then leave to drain over the pan. Mix the mint and parsley with the tomatoes, onion and drained bulghar. Whisk the lemon zest and juice and oil together with seasoning, then toss with the bulgur.
- STEP 2
Spoon the hummus into the bottom of a portable picnic bowl or large Tupperware (or use a large plastic mixing bowl, as you can cover it tightly with cling film later). Scatter with the chickpeas, then sprinkle with seasoning and drizzle with a little oil. Spoon the tabbouleh on top. Now top with the feta and olives, then tear over the lettuce leaves.
- STEP 3
Cover the bowl tightly with its lid or some cling film. Put a little more olive oil in a sealed container to take with you, then chill the salad for up to 24 hrs.
- STEP 4
To eat, drizzle the olive oil over the leaves, then scoop the salad onto serving plates, making sure everyone gets a bit of each layer. Serve with the flatbreads for everyone to tear and share.