Rustic courgette, pine nut & ricotta tart
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 courgettes , thinly sliced (try to use a mixture of different varieties if you can find them)
- 2 x 250g tubs ricotta
- 4 eggs
- large handful basil leaves , shredded
- grating of nutmeg
- 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 1 large garlic clove , crushed
- 500g block puff pastry
- dash of flour , for dusting
- large handful pine nuts
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan. Sizzle the courgettes for 5 mins until golden around the edges, then set aside. In a bowl, beat the ricotta with the eggs, basil, nutmeg, half the Parmesan and the garlic. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rough round about 40cm wide, then transfer to a baking tray. Spread the pastry with the ricotta mix, leaving a 4cm border. Press the courgette slices into the ricotta, then scatter over the pine nuts and remaining Parmesan.
- STEP 3
Bring the sides up over the edge of the ricotta, pinch to encase the filling, then bake for 30 mins until the filling is puffed up and golden. Leave to cool slightly and enjoy warm or cold with a crisp green salad.