Layered aubergine & lentil bake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 aubergines , cut into 0.5cm slices lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 140g puy lentils
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 300g cooked butternut squash
- 400g can chopped tomato
- ½ small pack basil leaves
- 125g ball of mozzarella , torn
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with 2 tbsp of the oil, lay on baking sheets, season and bake for 15-20 mins until tender, turning once. Cook the lentils following pack instructions.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan. Tip in the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Stir though the squash and the tomatoes, plus ½ can of water. Simmer for 10-15 mins until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the lentils, basil and seasoning.
- STEP 3
Spoon a layer of lentils into a small baking dish. Top with aubergine slices and repeat, finishing with a layer of aubergine. Scatter with mozzarella and bake for a further 15 mins until the cheese is golden and bubbling.